Mar 7, 2011

In Which We All Live Happily Ever After?

The Story of My Life

(starts here.)

Chapter 4

It has now been a little over a week since "The Incident" and I'll bet you're wondering:  "Did it work?
Were the boys scared into submission?  Are they on their best behavior?"

Well, yes and no.

Yes, it did have an impact.  And hopefully it will curtail the worst of the physical violence for awhile.
But NO it did not stop the boys from fighting.  Things around here are pretty normal; whining, teasing, tattling, fake crying, etc.  In other words, life in a house full of boys.

So although you're welcome to use this as a cautionary tale for your own kids, (several friends already have) I don't know that I'd recommend it as sure fire way to improve behavior.

Turns out, I may have been the one MOST traumatized by the whole thing.  Time will tell.

In the mean time, I'm going to an even higher authority than the base police: The Big Guy Upstairs.  I'll be begging for extra help and intercession to keep all of us--the whole family--out of jail in the future.  I could also use an extra large measure of patience to keep me in my "happy place."
(SERENITY NOW!!!)

Wish me luck...I need all the help I can get!!!


--The End--

(if only...)

11 comments:

Linz said...

I'm sorry it was taumatic for you. It would be for me too. You're awesome Em! Here's to keeping our kids out of jail!

Anonymous said...

Don't want to be a downer here, but before every mother in blogland goes out to try this, you may want to think of the reprecussions. If the Dub boys were ever in a serious accident, an emergency, or (HEAVEN FORBID) victims of a crime they are now TERRIFIED of cops, cops that could need the boys to help them get them out of a burning building, describe someone who assaulted them, or any number of things that will now be difficult because of this experience. Scaring kids into obedience may work in the short term, but I don't know if the cost is worth the pay out.

Lizzy said...

Hilarious story! I don't think Em was trying to scare them into obedience, she was simply teaching them what their life could end up like if they choose to be violent and hurt others. Well done! I can't wait to read this to my kids. I just might put up a link to this post on my Facebook.
Liz

acte gratuit said...

Anonymous,
Fortunately, they are NOT terrified of cops. They're slightly intimidated by the thought of jail.
But I agree with you--scaring kids is not an effective long term strategy. (Like I said: NOT a sure fire way to improve behavior.)

Susan Rozier said...

Em, I support you, sympathize with you, and generally love you. One of my friends sent her agressive child to Karate for Kids. She was shocked by the change in behavior of her kid. They are taught to bow (before hitting?) and be super respectful. I just remember her rave reviews about this method. Sounds like Sammy feels powerless. Love, Aunt Sue

Andy said...

Thinking about you guys today. Are you ok.

mountainmama said...

If anyone has heard from Emily please post something...Em you are in our prayers hope you and your family are safe.
LOVE YOU LOTS :)

Natalie said...

I came here to check on you - I hope you guys are okay.

Miggy said...

I too was checking in on your family. Hope you are OK.

Leslie said...

Not sure where in japan you guys live, but am wondering how you are. Post if you can!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. A friend suggested it to be able to read first hand what life is like in Japan after the earthquake and tsunami. It's very interesting.

Just a note on your four boys. We had four boys in 7 years and so I feel your pain. I can't specifically remember anything quite as bad as you wrote about but that may well be because time has erased those memories. I do remember my husband having to patch a hole in a door after son#2 threw a shoe at son#1 and missed. Hang in there and keep doing your best and it will get easier. Son#1 is now married in the temple and they are expecting our first grandbaby this summer. Son#2 is on his mission and #3 is getting ready to graduate and #4 is president of his teachers' quorum and getting ready to become a priest. They are by no means perfect kids but it is easier than when they were little and they are fun to be with. Good luck! It seems like just a year or two since I was in your shoes.

Love,

Tanya