Feb 23, 2011

Dear Douglas Diary Day Dos

Day 2 (My Wednesday.  Your Tuesday)

Dear Douglas,
Yesterday is a bit of a blur.  The problem is that it started at 6:30 a.m. when some blurry child dumped crying Gray on top of me.  I know I was out of bed by 7:30 (I clearly remember being upset by this fact) and the day just kept going from there!

I must have been running on sheer adrenalin, because I never got a nap, and I actually felt pretty good most of the day.  Except, of course, when I got to hear about the gorgeous warm weather in San Diego, your trip to Target, and your plans to go to "Pipes" for breakfast without me!

Bah!!!

Mid-morning I did the grocery shopping.  All was going smoothly until I realized I'd left the stupid money envelope home.  Stupid stupid stupid stupid Dave Ramsey!
(Yes, all the kid voices in my head are screaming "We don't say STUPID!!!")

LUCKILY, Miss Amanda (not Jones)* was also doing her shopping and agreed to hang with the kids and cart while I sped home to retrieve it.  That wonderful sainted woman!  That could have put a serious damper on my naturally cheery outlook to have to abandon a cart full of food and take both boys home with me to get the ENVELOPES!  (Why oh why can't I have just one tiny credit card for emergencies???)

Anyhoo, around 1700, Janelle came over - again - and saved the day. (night.)  She stayed with Gray and Sam while I took Max and Gabe to basketball.  So, it turns out, this was Gabe's last practice.  Luckily I had the camera because it was HI.LAR.I.OUS!  They had a "game" and I was laughing the whole time.  Usually when a kid would get the ball, he or she would tuck it under their arm and just book it across the "court" to their basket and dunk it.  All the kids ran together in a big herd except for the two or three always wandering off in the wrong direction.

Gabe got frustrated at never getting the ball and--like a little slump-shouldered Charlie Brown--sulked off the court a few times.  But then he DID get the ball--TWICE -- and made two "shots"!  (Slam dunks, actually.  He's quite tall compared to many of the other kids out there--and the basket.)

It was pretty darn cute.  And I got ample photo documentation to prove it.

Somehow when I got home, I managed to get the little 'uns in bed and did some more Percy reading with the big 'uns.

And then I was fading fast.

I watched some old "House" episodes.

I made myself some Peppermint herbal tea.

I just kept trying to stay up a liiii-ttle bit longer.

I kept thinking "HOW can I go to bed when Doug will be waking up and going to an interview in a few short hours?  I should just wait up until HE wakes up and talk to him before he leaves!"

I lasted until 2300.

My body was shutting down involuntarily.

So after a fervent prayer on your behalf, I went.

And the bed was cold again.

And that was my day.

xoxoxo,

Your Sleepy Wife


*See "Some Kind of Wonderful" for reference!  I have that song stuck in my head now!

2 comments:

Lyana said...

Emily, I love your style of writing, I've said it before. Even some of the hardest days seem to be so fun:)

Unknown said...

Good Luck Doug! Hope you are coping Em, Chocolate, and TV seem to do the trick every time! Love you girly!!!