May 11, 2009

More on Mother's Day

Never, never, ever ever in my entire life time full of Sunday's have I ever gotten so many compliments during a single church visit.  Men, women, and children all noticed and complimented my Mother's Day gift from Maxwell!  
(See if you can spot it in the picture below.  Hint:  I'm wearing it around my neck.)He made me a necklace!!!

He found the shell at the beach and then came up with the idea to make it into a necklace--for me--all by himself.   (Doug drilled a small hole in it and hung it from a small copper wire loop.  Then they hung it from string.)Pretty stylin', right?  And definitely a show stopper!  Man, I love that kid! 

Speaking of Mother's Day gifts, Doug got me the book (at my request) "In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms" by Dr. Laura.  I'm only a few pages in, but reading those first few pages last night and this morning, made me feel an additional surge of gratitude for my Mother who was not only a SAHM, but a HOMEMAKER who made our home a nice place to be.  

***Pardon me as I get a little introspective here for a moment:***

It made me want to reevaluate my feelings about homemaking and think of it as more of a blessing than a curse.  I've always been happy that I'm able to be home with my kids.  It's the job I've always wanted.    

But I've never been thrilled with the rest of my job description:  i.e., housekeeping.  Let's face it:  I'm not good at it.  I skip from task to task in my usual easily- distracted way leaving the detritus of half-done chores in my wake.  And cooking tends to give me a back ache so it's not my favorite either.  (Plus, I'm really bad at thinking of WHAT to make for dinner every night.  That's half the battle right there.)  Oh, and did I mention how much I loathe laundry.  I do.  I loathe it.

BUT!  This is the life I've chosen so I need to get my attitude in line.  (And maybe start using my pottery money to hire a Mamasan to help me clean...?)

I remember my mom saying once that it always made her a little sad when her kids were potty trained.  (Me:  "HUH?")  Because she enjoyed being able to ensure that they were always nice and clean and cared for.  Talk about a paradigm shift!  I'd never looked at diaper changing in such a positive light!   But it's true!  Not only is diaper changing time the perfect time to give zerbets, but I can also be sure that my little angel/demon's bottom is in pristine kissable condition when I'm finished.  (Even if it sometimes means wrestling him to the ground, enduring shrill screams, and the use of 58 wipes.) 

Anyway, those are my early morning ponderances (<----possibly a made-up word) for what they're worth.  (Do I hear 25 cents anyone?  A dime?  A nickle?)

So to all you mom's out there, you deserve a Bon-Bon.  And the rest of you, you all have mom's so you may as well have a Bon-Bon too.
Good game. 
Now it's time for me to get back to work.  I have laundry to do.

7 comments:

Korinne said...

good thoughts! I got the book for mothers day as well, but haven't started it yet. I loved your post about your mom as well! Hope everything is well in Japan! Have a good week!

FOX said...

Dude, my kid TRUMPS your kid!! Wait til' I show you the picture of the paper tie that a three-year old Jake finger painted and cut-out, and that yes, your BRO also wore to church!!!!

I think we win!!!

Bartimaeus said...

Chrissy that is nice and all but this is mother's day we are talking about. Ties are not appropriate. Your kid may be good but he isn't even close to Maxer!

Beeswax said...

Never thought about the potty training in just that way before. But I'll tell you, we're training right now, and I'm still wiping up a storm, even though there is a lot less to clean up. But(t) still... it does sound like your mom is nicer than me. Isn't surprising.

Linz said...

LOVE your necklace! Well done Max!! =D

And very nice thoughts. Being a mommy is great!

marissa said...

That is so cute! I love when kids come up with their own ideas and make cute gifts. You look FABULOUS in it! Also, talking about changing diapers reminded me of the first time I had to change Max's diaper. I was used to my delicate flower laying still, so Max was a surprise. I ended up having to sit on him, but happy to say that I got that bum as clean as can be :)

Lora Gooch said...

Great post Emily. I don't like the cooking/cleaning either. We miss your family's energy. And I LOVE the necklace..it's a little slice of new England! Finding a shell that big without chips and breaks is amazing! Way to go Max!