Apr 23, 2008

What's In A Name?

I started this blog a long time ago.

Hold on.

Let me check how long ago:

*short pause while I do some research*

Alright. It was 9/14/05.
That's September 14th, 2005 for you dummies out there.
(Sorry for calling you a dummy. Sometimes I'm just in a mean mood.)

Back then, my kids looked like this: (They're the boys, not the girls, Dummy!)

I only had two of them and they were perfectly well-behaved, sweet, innocent, and evidently extremely grubby. (This picture was taken on a camping trip. Give me a break.)

Following the example of my sister-in-law Laura, (aka Mrs. Dub) I started a blog and THIS my friends, is an exact replica of my VERY FIRST POST!!!

Read it carefully, for it explains EVERYTHING!!!

***

So I created a blog, looked through the "Foreign Words and Phrases" in the back of the dictionary for a clever name, picked my template...

I think I expected more.

Oh well. Maybe I'll be more excited about my first dip into blogdom when it's not so late. Or early. Or whatever. I just want to show off pictures of my adorable children. Is that so wrong? I think not. Goodnight!

***

Yes, that's right. I found the name of my blog, "acte gratuit" in the back of a dictionary in the "Foreign Words and Phrases" section. (The desk edition, not the pocket-size.)

It was a completely random choice made in the middle of the night. No, I do not speak French. My blearly thoughts went something like this: "acte gratuit: Gratuitous act. Hmmm. I like the word 'gratuitous'! And it's kinda like the creation of this blog! Sorta pointless and unnecessary!"

It was probably a few minutes later that I had to call one of my Young Women (this one) to ask how to add a link to the side-bar. (She's not linked on my side-bar because I don't want anyone stalking my Young Women. Or Young Neices (Madi). So just leave her (them) alone!)

After this stellar beginning, it took me 7 months to do another post.

And that my friends, is how I ended up with the name Acte Gratuit; two French words I can't even pronounce properly. And also the reason we shouldn't blog after midnight. Which is why I'm going to bed now.

Sincerely,

Your Friend the Dummy,

Acte Gratuit

(That's "twee" not "too-it"!)

(...i think.)

7 comments:

Adriane said...

Woo! "a href" for the win! My favorite of the five-letter tags... "strong" never really did it for me, I still use "b" instead...

Wow. I just nerded myself out. I miss you, yo. And am still jealous that Shelly got to go back east last summer while I pretended that I was going to start job hunting.

Adriane said...

Wait, and look at that header. THAT is art.

Adriane said...

P.S. (hah I'm the first 3 comments on your page) don't worry about stalkers. I am now fully experienced in stalkers, and I can handle them. Life is funny.

FOX said...

Now Emily how is my plug for your blog (on my blog) supposed to work when you add a new post? Seeing as I told everyone to go read the (second) post "eye for an eye" and also to read the latest post (that talked about how great I am!) SHEEESH!

JK! You are so weird! I do my best blogging after 1am. UMMMMM! What time is it now?

See I told you!!!

Mrs. Dub said...

it's french? aw, crap. i think i assumed it was latin all this time.

Linz said...

I for one have always liked your blog name! It's cool.

Anonymous said...

i think it's a great name!! and i enjoyed reading your blog on the other blog. can i get your autograph??