Apr 14, 2008

How To Avoid Housework:

Sit down in front of the computer and you'll find plenty of things to occupy your time. (Oh wait...isn't this what Elder Ballard cautioned against*? D'oh! I'll do better tomorrow.)

For example, I decided my recipe blog has a lack of representation from the non-breakfast/non-dessert group. (What's the name of that group again?) So I posted my mother-in-law's Scrumptious Spinach Salad recipe. I really love my Mother-in-Law! She's a really excellent lady and a really excellent cook! (Aren't you jealous that I love my MIL and you don't? Thought so.)

AND I was thrilled to find that the cool font used in my word document, showed up in Blogger! It didn't lose the formatting!!! It kept the pretty font I used for the title!!! This has never happened before!!! IS ANYONE ELSE THRILLED AND AMAZED?!?! (Or is it just a fluke and it's showing up on your screen as Arial? Stupid, ugly Arial!)

Next thing: You know those people who start a blog, write a few posts, and then poop-out? (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, JEN ROSS I mean PEOPLE!!!)

Well, my sister-in-law Christina is one of these people. She was going strong, then slacked off never to update again. Then recently she started a new blog (using Blogger) and is now posting again like a maniac. So Post-lific** is she, that I can hardly keep up! But today I read her latest post and I loved it.

Just as some background, Chrissy is married to my only brother. The one boy sandwiched between four girls. (Which is why we had a Navajo Indian foster brother for 10 years...but that's another story.) My brother Brandon is a completely psychotic person and an evil computer genius. But he's the best big brother a girl could ask for. (That's a complete lie, because I totally would have asked for a brother with a lot less gas and far fewer evil-mischievous tendencies.) No really! I'm very grateful he's my brother and I've always looked up to him. (Even after several incidences that proved him to be sick and twisted.)

That said, it should be noted he married someone just as evilly-brilliant as himself. Chrissy is also sick and twisted! She likes bugs. Really really likes them. And reads text-books for fun. And doesn't read fiction. And she likes school so much she keeps going back for more. How much more screwed up can a person be? But yet, she's surprisingly still really cool and fun to be around. And her blog is as funny and twisted as she is.

Anyway, take a gander and read about some of the experiences she's had leading up to the adoption of 3 of their 6 kids. (My adorable and brilliant nieces and nephews.) Whenever I hear these stories, I immediately want to sign up as a foster parent. Little does Doug know I'm just biding my time until we have an income not subsidized by high-interest loans! Then, let the baby barrage begin! I'm all over that.
Read Chrissy's latest Sunday Post here. Then go save a child!

Okay, I could go on posting randomness all day. (And have in the past.) But I think that's enough for now. My children demand lunch and my cold toes demand socks. So TTFN!

P.S. I'm still trying to get my Blog Roll up-to-date! If you're someone I know (or someone I don't know who reads this blog) and you have a blog, and I haven't posted the link to your blog, leave a comment and I'll do it! I HATE LEAVING PEOPLE OUT!!!



*"...And don’t allow yourself to be caught up in the time-wasting, mind-numbing things like television soap operas or surfing the Internet." It should be noted that reading this blog is NOT time-wasting, only slightly mind-numbing, and absolutely does NOT count as surfing the Internet. So READ-ON!!! (Just cut-out the soaps!)

**
I totally just made up a new word and I expect credit in the next edition of Merriam-Webster.

13 comments:

FOX said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FOX said...

Emily you are so silly. I just always love your word usages.

I love my MIL!

I will take being twisted and sick as a complement!

btw... I deleted my last comment to re-write it with ...ummm... words spelled correctly!

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Thank you for your interest in new words. Unfortunately, for you, the practice of simply placing a hyphen and a suffix is not something new. (It was first introduced in the 1950’s). Therefore we are gladly rejecting your word for this year’s addition of Merriam-Webster's First Collegiate Dictionary.

Sincerely,

MW

P.S. You might find some success using Wiktionary.

Bartimaeus said...

I think lots of people love your MIL, including me!

acte gratuit said...

Dear Brandon,
Quit posing as Mirriam-Webster. You'll never kill my dream of making it into the dictionary!

acte gratuit said...

Dear Chrissy,
I knew you'd take it as intended! And it's true. You do love your MIL. How could you not!!!???
:)

Jessi said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had to do a little self-evaluation after Elder Ballard's talk. And I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who decided that blogging IS a worthwhile use of time. Thanks for the validation.:)

FOX said...

We have been counseled to write in our journals over and over again by leaders of our church.

My blog is my journal. I am thinking, obviously soap operas suck. It should have been a given on that one, but those doing unhealthy surfing on the internet, know who they are and what they should stop doing.

I feel good about my blog... and I feel good about your blog Emily, especially since it is singing my praises today!!!!!

Linz said...

Nice new word, Em! Thanks for all of the randomness!

Anonymous said...

I could lose myself on the computer. I know, I am a dork. I am on it all the time. I even play games on it. I get bored sometimes. But the internet is unlimited.

FOX said...

EM, so my friend Misty Potter finally started a blog, but go look at the cool virtual book shelf she has on her page. I have her under my favorite blogs.

Scroll to the bottom. I haven't ever see that on a blog before. Totally cool!!!!

Unless I am just blog illiterate and everyone already knows about it.

MISS YA!!!! I am totally bored! Where are you?

Dr. Paul W. Bell said...

Emily,

You and your family are looking great! Of course you are as skinny as ever even after three babies. How does that work? I am one who poops out a lot in blogging but I do try and you as well as other noble bloggers inspire me keep blogging. If only there weren't any other distractions like um my kids! By the way Max is so grown up now. Wow!

FOX said...

Emily,
so I was teasing Bub for his Merriam-Webster comment when I was informed by the expression on his face, that he didn't write it!!!!!

HMMMMMM!

Jeff?